Tuesday, April 3, 2007

New Orleans

I feel like I'm the host of a travel show with all the entries- I'll let Eric write about New Orleans...
What to say about New Awlins...interesting. I have never seen a city quite like it. The French Quarter, which dominates the downtown area is a mix of elegant architecture and inner-city grit. The people are warm and inviting, especially the con-artists. A man bet me a shoe shine that he could tell me where I got my shoes. After a few minutes of talking he said you got your shoes on your feet! Wow! Later on we came across many who fell victim to a similar scam.
Bourbon street is not as I expected. It was much like a street from the 'ville in Korea, for those who have been. It is a street lined with bars and "gentleman's clubs." Every night is a party. It is a very narrow street and I can't even imagine what it would be like during Mardi Gras.
Our hotel was on the corner of Bourbon (named for the french royal family, not the liquor) and Canal, one of the main thoroughfares of downtown. Every night on the corner, a small brass band would play, loudly. At first it was charming, then it was LOUD. People would crowd around them and listen to them play. They were all very talented, but, as I am sure the locals would agree, it was a bit much sometimes.
One of our favorite places in the city was Magazine street. It was "uptown" and very reminiscent of 23rd street in Portland. Many beautiful houses and great little shops lined the road. It was much more our cup 'o tea.
While we were there we got to visit a good friend of mine from DLI. John is a native "New Orleans-er(ite)" and it was great being able to spend time with him in his homeland, which explained alot about him, (just kidding buddy).
To sum up, the food was great, the people were friendly and the town has to a great extent it's own identity. New Orleans has an indescribable quality which is equal parts beauty, culture and grit. There is no doubt this is why the people are so eager to rebuild after Katrina

Our Hotel on Bourbon and Canal















Eric's first crawfish experience















Eric and his buddy Jon from DLI

No comments: